Goodyear & Dunlop Tyres is committed to meeting customers’ needs for highest-quality products, leading in targeted segments, continuous innovation and developing competitive advantages. These are Goodyear & Dunlop Tyres’ strategic principles for creating sustainable economic value that will result in an even stronger company.
Innovation excellence drives our technological advances and enables us to create products and services that are valued and sought out by consumers and customers. Our solutions respond to the needs of an increasingly complex market and help to set us apart from the competition.
Today, more than 115 years later, Goodyear’s success continues to be driven by innovation. Some of our recent innovations include:
AIR MAINTENANCE TECHNOLOGY (AMT)
Tyres with AMT, a self-inflating tyre system, can remain inflated at the optimum pressure without the need for any external pumps, electronics or driver intervention. Proper tyre pressure plays an important role in improved fuel efficiency, reduced emissions and extended tyre life, as well as to keep the vehicle’s handling performance at optimal levels.
Goodyear’s Air Maintenance Technology (AMT) has received several awards, including:
- One of the “Best Innovations of the Year” by Time
- The “ten most promising future technologies” from Car & Driver
- The 2012 Breakthrough Award from Popular Mechanics
- The 2013 Green Innovation Award by the Luxembourg Green Business Summit
- One of the “Best 100 Ideas of the Year” in the motor category by Actualidad Economic (Spain)
- “Best Technology of the Year” by Auto Sport (China)
Continuously striving to develop state-of the-art products that set the technology and performance standard for the industry, Goodyear presented a vision of a future tyre that looks radically different from tyres today – it’s a sphere.
The Eagle 360 is a spherical, 3-D printed concept tyre that would provide self-driving cars ultimate manoeuvrability, connectivity and biomimicry to increase safety.
The Eagle 360 is designed to reduce driver interaction and intervention by providing;
- Manoeuvrability: the multi-orientation of the spherical-shaped tyre allows the car to move in all directions, contributing to safety for passengers, as well as coping with space limitations such as tight parking lots or city streets.
- Connectivity: embedded sensors further increase safety by communicating road and weather conditions to the vehicle control system and other nearby cars, while tread and tyre pressure monitoring technology regulate even wear of the 360-degree tyre to extend mileage.
- Magnetic levitation: the tyres would rely on a magnetic levitation system to suspend the car, resulting in a smooth, quiet ride for the passenger.
- Biomimicry: inspired by nature, the 3D printed tread mimics the pattern of brain coral and behaves like a natural sponge – designed to stiffen in dry conditions and soften when wet to deliver excellent driving performance and aquaplaning resistance.
The Goodyear IntelliGrip concept tyre is designed to communicate with autonomous vehicle control systems, sensing road surface and weather conditions for improved driving safety and performance.
- Senses road conditions: thanks to its advanced sensor technology and specially designed tread, the concept tyre can sense many road conditions, including both surface and weather conditions.
- Active-wear technology: the IntelliGrip also uses advanced active wear technology to assess the condition of the tyre and the vehicle.
- Custom algorithms: Goodyear-developed algorithms account for variables such as inflation pressure and tyre temperature.
- Adapting to road conditions: when the tyre senses a rainy or slippery road surface, the autonomous vehicle will adapt its speed. Additionally, the tyre can shorten the stopping distance, provide a better cornering response, optimise stability and even support collision prevention systems.
- Technology adaption: Goodyear is working with a number of vehicle manufacturers to further adapt this technology to their needs, enhancing connectivity with features such as Electronic Stability Control Systems, Brake Control Systems and Suspension Control Systems.
A customized concept tyre for the new Lexus UX concept car, combining both innovative design and technology to take comfort to the next level. Goodyear committed to the inside-out philosophy adopted by Lexus for this model, making the internal elements blend with the external ones and vice versa. The Urban CrossOver features:
- Goodyear’s Sound Comfort Technology, which uses an open-cell polyurethane foam element attached to the inner surface of the tyre to dampen the tyre cavity resonance sound peak.
- Chip-in-tyre technology, which sends vital information to the car’s on-board computer, enhancing the stability and performance of the car when cornering and braking.
- Goodyear’s RunOnFlat Technology, which incorporates reinforced sidewalls that can properly carry the weight of a car for up to 80 km after a puncture with complete loss of air pressure.
Goodyear products have earned praise from the automotive media, independent testing organisations and the driving public. Here is a list of our recent global recognition.